As the AM wave continues to grow in Japan, Tokyo-based JEOL released its new JAM-5200EBM electron beam melting metal AM system. The company, which specializes in scientific metrology systems (including electron microscopes) leveraged its know-how of electron microscopes and electron beam lithography systems for semiconductor manufacturing, to develop a new EBM system with higher power, higher density and higher speed.
Moreover, thanks to the long-life cathode* and helium-free integrated systems, JEOL promises cost reduction and mass production of high-quality parts with high reproducibility. The company is now targeting to sell 10 units during the first year in the market, specifically to clients in advanced industrial segments such as aerospace, industrial power, and medical products.
The “Long Life Cathode” in the JAM-5200EBM lasts over 1,500 hours, significantly reducing downtime for cathode replacement. It is based on JEOL’s original vacuum technology, developed in the manufacturing of electron beam-related equipment.
Furthermore, No helium gas is needed to prevent the scattering of powder as JEOL’s unique powder dispersal prevention system avoids the scattering phenomenon. Thanks to the helium-free environment, not only can parts be manufactured in a clean space at a low cost, but the surface of the cathode is also less susceptible to damage, allowing the electron beam to remain stable. As a result, the manufacturing quality can be maintained until the end of the cathode’s lifetime.
Like other EBM systems, the JEOL machine enables builds with more than one part in a single printing process, with no cutting required, preventing materials from being wasted. Reusing metal powder is another possibility, making the process more eco-friendly and sustainable.
- Manufacturing method: Powder bed fusion
- Ｍanufacturing dimensions: Maximum 250 mm (Dia.) × 400 mm (H)
- Electron beam output: Maximum 6 kW
- Lifetime of cathode: 1,500 h or longer
- Chamber pressure (during melting): 0.01 Pa or lower
- Inert gas (for charging prevention): Not required
- Manufactured product cooling system: Equipped
- Powder dispersal prevention system: e-Shield
- Beam correction: Automatic (Focus, Astigmatism, Distortion)
- Power supply: 3-phase, 200 V (±10％), 35 kVA
- Weight: 4,900 kg
- Data format: STL