Blue Origin is the company that Amazon founder Jeff Bezos created to launch his own commercial space venture. Its New Shepard system is a fully reusable vertical takeoff, vertical landing (VTVL) space vehicle. The company is now looking for an AM engineer.
The system consists of a pressurized capsule atop a booster. The combined vehicles launch vertically, accelerating for approximately two and a half minutes before the engine cuts off. The capsule then separates from the booster to coast quietly into space. After a few minutes of free fall, the booster performs an autonomously controlled rocket-powered vertical landing, while the capsule lands softly under parachutes, both ready to be used again.
Blue Origin has made no secret of its use of additive manufacturing technology in order to obtain the most optimized structure for its New Shepard capsule and the BE-3 engine. In addition to powering the New Shepard system to space with 110,000 pounds of thrust, the BE-3 liquid rocket engine is also designed to restart as the vehicle returns, slowing the booster to just 5 mph for landing.
Now Blue Origin is looking for a new Additive Manufacturing Engineer who, as part of a small team, will work with engineers and technicians to support additive manufacturing processing. The AM Engineer will be managing a production schedule, design and commission new tooling, maintain equipment CAD models, evaluate new-part setup and flow, and coordinating maintenance and repairs for the additive manufacturing equipment.
AM engineer responsibilities and requirements
- Author work instructions and planning documents for the additive manufacturing cells
- Develop and maintain additive manufacturing parts production schedules
- Maintain configuration control of all hardware produced in the additive manufacturing area
- Plan, schedule and manage facilities and infrastructure activities related to additive manufacturing
- Support additive manufacturing tooling and fixturing design
- Manage consumables procurement related to hardware production on the additive manufacturing cells
- Assist with parts kitting, inventory transactions and certification management, as required
- Manage timely discrepancy reporting and resolution
- Develop and release additive manufacturing process production documents
- Generate preventative additive manufacturing equipment maintenance plans
- Establish and maintain an inventory of standard repair parts
- Coordinate off-nominal inspections of hardware
- Manage upstream and downstream additive manufacturing processes, as required to ensure a smooth handoff of hardware in and out of the laser cells.
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in Engineering, Materials Science, or related field
- 5+ years’ experience in manufacturing, process engineering, metallurgy, 3D printing or other related field
- Strong aptitude in metallurgy and materials science
- Proven ability to take own parts and processes to improve end product
- Driven, passionate and goal-oriented engineer
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien
- Understanding of welding and the allied processes, including hands-on experience
- Six Sigma/Lean Manufacturing training and experience
- CNC and robotic programming and operation experience
- Aerospace experience