HumTown Additive – a brand of Ohio-based HumTown Product – was named Small/Medium Enterprise Manufacturer of the Year by the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM). A longtime leader in the metal casting industry, the company utilized ExOne‘s sand 3D printing technology to revolutionize production, boosting its capabilities and allowing it to serve new markets and customers.
All winners of the 2020 Manufacturing Leadership Awards were honored at the 16th annual ML Awards Gala, hosted by the National Association of Manufacturers’ Manufacturing Leadership Council. The event took place online.
“The need for digital transformation in manufacturing is more urgent than ever, and these companies and leaders are examples of some of the best,” said MLC Co-Founder, Vice President, and Executive Director David R. Brousell. “I commend this year’s winners for their noteworthy accomplishments and for continuing to expand what is possible.”
As a pioneer in additive manufacturing, Humtown has the ability to 3D print sand cores and molds to suit its customers’ specifications. In the Leetonia (OH) additive facility, HumTown runs four ExOne S-Max Industrial Production 3D Printers, one of which is provided by Youngstown State University at the facility
The benefits of 3D sand printing cores and molds are numerous. A 3D sand printer produces sand cores and molds that are extremely strong and dimensionally exact, no matter what the design specs are. In addition, the turnaround for 3D sand printing is extremely fast, as molds and cores are almost instantly ready after 3D printing. This makes 3D sand printing an ideal – and a very real – option to meet rush orders.
Along with HumTown, eight more recipients of ML High Achiever Awards were also announced. The High Achiever Awards are presented to the project that receives the highest score from the judges in that category.
High Achiever Award Winners:
- Lockheed Martin in the Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Analytics Leadership category for F-35 Augmented Reality Shop Floor Mobility
- Merck & Co., Inc., in the Collaborative Innovation Leadership category for Digital Fingerprinting
- Humtown Products in the Engineering and Production Technology Leadership category for Commercialization of 3D Printing in the Metal Casting Industry
- IBM in the Enterprise Integration Technology Leadership category for Migrating Supply Chain Quality Workload to Cloud
- Cooley Group in the Industrial Internet of Things Leadership category for Cooley Group Transforms Legacy Machinery into Smart Tech
- Hologic Inc. in the Operational Excellence category for Building a Culture of Operational Excellence
- Starkey Hearing Technologies in the Supply Chain Leadership category for Starkey Supply Chain Management Transformation
- The Boeing Company in the Sustainability Leadership category for Diverting Waste to Landfill While Upcycling Excess Airplane Carbon Fiber
- Nexteer Automotive in the Talent Management category for Nexteer for m.e. Global Talent Management and Training Program